Thursday, December 20, 2012

I've Learned Yet Another New Word I Didn't Know Before Cancer

New word: Seroma - a lump or swelling caused by an accumulation of serum within a tissue or organ.

First, thank you to those that prayed for me.  I felt better today when I woke up (probably due to the antibiotics they started me on - Cipro and Bactrim) and I prayed that when we arrived at the doctor that Kevan and I would just look like paranoid idiots and that there really wouldn't be an issue.  I would much rather look like an idiot than have an infection or seroma.  I did not have a fever this morning and my right breast didn't look as red.  So, it seemed that maybe everything was fine.

We packed the car with overnight clothes/items just in case.  If it was serious I may need to stay at the hospital or if we had to see the doctor again tomorrow we could just stay at my MIL's instead of making the long drive two days in a row.  We arrived 30 minutes early.  We had given ourselves the normal 2 hour drive, but traffic was down so we arrived early.  We finished listening to a Christmas Sermon by John MacArthur and then headed in to see if they could take us a little early.  Kevan and I love the modern technology.  We have been listening to YouTube videos or streaming sermons lately during our long drives.  It is pretty cool that our cell service is able to stay connected well enough that the video/audio is never interrupted and it gives us so many more options than just listening to the radio.

When we arrived my two wonderful nurses, Miss L and Miss B, took a look at the redness and didn't notice any swelling.  They didn't think anything serious was going on, but wanted to make sure with Dr. M's confirmation.  So, Kevan and I waited (he was in surgery) until we could see him.  We just played around on our phones for 30 minutes and the time went by pretty fast.  :o)  I was very happy though...thinking that nothing was wrong and I'd be going home.

Dr. M came in and in the next 5 minutes he burst my bubble of happiness.  He immediately mentioned needle and drain.  I obviously got emotional because I hate both words.  He could tell I was getting emotional, but he knew that putting in a drain if he found fluid (seroma) was the right thing to do.   I already have potential issues because I've had 3 lymph nodes removed from that side and it is my cancer side so there was more trauma to the area during surgeries.  Of course, I wanted what was best, but I didn't want to go through anything else so I was starting to cry a little just thinking about it.  Miss L and Miss B prepped the room for my "minor" surgery.  I was so glad they were going to let Kevan stay.  He moved his chair to the other side of me, held my hand and prayed for me.  Then, Dr. M stuck a few needles in me to numb the area (OUCH!!!) and then did the procedure to find any fluid that was there.  I felt a lot of pressure and some "jamming" which I did not care for.  lol!  I didn't watch, but looked at Kevan the whole time.  At one point he had a weird expression on his face that scared me so I told him he wasn't allowed to watch if he was going to make faces that scare me.  lol!  So, then he just continued to watch, but put his hand over his mouth so I couldn't read him.  Anyway, there was quite a bit of fluid so Dr. M did need to put in a drain.  Have I told you how much I HATE DRAINS!  Ugh!  I am grateful for them, of course, because they have a great purpose, but I just don't like this thing stuck in my body that has a big long tube that gross stuff drains through to get to a "bulb" that we have to empty 3 times a day.  Dr. M also noticed a blister that had formed and lanced it (ouch!).  For those that are brave and can look at medical stuff...I've uploaded a picture of what the blister and drain site looks like.  It isn't pretty!  So, click here to see a picture.  I made the picture really small because it just looks grotesque looking at it any bigger. I will have to have the drain until the fluid coming out is less than 5cc's for 3 days.  Last Monday, they removed my drains and the count had to be less than 20cc for 2 days.  So, you can see that the threshold has to be a lot less now.  My appointment to have it removed is next Thursday, but if it is more than 5cc's I will have to move it.  I am praying it is next Thursday!

It is funny that the whole time I was laying on the table going through this, in my mind, I was thinking......"I want a big piece of Gondola's cake for having to go through this".  LOL!!!  I've fallen off the diet wagon and have cheated a few times lately.  If we had driven past it on the way home I would've made Kevan go buy me a piece of cake.  :p  I love their cake and I think it would've made me feel a little better.  LOL!

I am so thankful for Miss L and Miss B for always making me feel better when I have to go through these procedures or if I'm just having a rough time of it.  I'm also thankful for the ability that God has given to Dr. M.  Not just his plastic surgery abilities, but also his wisdom today to see that something was wrong and that he knew what to do.  Please Lord, please bless each of them.  Now, I will say that I think my little procedure was already a blessing to Miss L and Miss B because they both enjoy the little mini surgeries in the office.  lol!  I can't imagine it!  But, Miss L was pretty excited.  :o)  

Finally, I want to say how wonderful my husband was to sit there and hold my hand the whole time and to pray with me.  I am so thankful for him and his support.  People tell me I am such a strong person all the time, but I have so much support (Kevan, Family, Friends, God) and that is how I'm able to be strong.  After each of the things I go through I appreciate so much more what my mother-in-law, Judy, went through.  She has had breast cancer twice.  She is a single woman.  I don't know how she did it.  Kevan went to her appointments with her and tried to help her, but he wasn't there for her first cancer experience because he lived in Texas.  Also, he couldn't help her, like he does me, because that is just weird....cuz she's his mom.  Ha!  Anyway, Judy....you are the strongest woman I know.  I don't know how you did it.  I love you so much.  I wish I would've known you then so I could've helped you through each thing.  I'm glad God was with you though and got you through it.  I can't imagine my life without you in it.

2 comments:

  1. Jayde, thank you for those awesome words for me! The way I got through cancer was the same way as you - our Almighty Father! My faith is where it is today because if it and for that I am thankful! You, too are strong - we (ourselves) don't see it but family and friends see it.
    I shed tears, too, Jayde, it is all so overwhelming - but it gets better - and some day soon it will NO Longer be the focus of what is going on in your life - You are having some set backs right now (the drain thing) but this will all pass and you will look back to know it was a life changing experience - Cancer does that - mentally and physically! You have a great support system with God,Kevan, your Church, family and friends - it doesn't get any better than that! I am grateful that Kevan brought you into our lives - Love you girl, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayde, I sent you an e-mail containing today's devotional from Joseph Prince. Walk on water, girl!!!!! Love, JOY

    ReplyDelete