Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"After" Picture

We went to see my plastic surgeon yesterday to discuss my surgery on December 5th.  For some reason they thought I had canceled my appointment so we had to wait a little longer to be "fit in", but we were in/out within the hour.  Normally, they take me to a room and have me put on a paper vest (I hate them).  This time I got to put on a very nice white robe.  Very luxurious and way better than the paper disposable vest!  A nurse came it to "look" at the results of my previous surgery, fills, etc.  She said, "Wow, you are one of the lucky ones that actually looks good in tissue expanders!"  That was a huge compliment.  Who knows?  She may say that to everyone...I don't know.  But, it sure made me feel good. 

The doctor came in about 30 minutes later and we talked over size, implants, etc....same things we discussed with my other plastic surgeon.  He talked to us a little about the 410 (gummy bear) implants that we've decided on and why they are still waiting to be FDA approved.  Then, he informed us that he invented the breast tissue expander.  [side note - I didn't believe him when he said it in his office.  I researched it when we got to the car...he was telling the truth. He was the inventor.]  Now, I know that I have a love/hate relationship with these expanders (aka: rocks), but they are what made me pretty again.  They provided a way for me to be normal again.  How awesome is God that he sent me to the man that actually invented the best modern technology used today for breast reconstruction?  I am so blessed.  He is so good to me.  Seriously, I had no idea what doctor to go to and I ended up with the one that is the best in our area....maybe the country.  I don't know about you, but I don't believe it wasn't an accident.  It was God ordained.

The doctor had the nurse take more pictures and then shortly after he came back in with my "after" picture.  Let's just say....if I look as good as my projected after picture I will be a VERY happy woman.  LOL!  He said, "I need to add....exact results are not guaranteed"...as he doesn't know what will happen once I get into surgery or if my body will reject the fat grafting.  But, I'm pretty excited and ready for my surgery!  lol!  God has been with me this far and He has exceeded my expectations throughout this whole journey.  Yes, the mastectomy was awful and the chemo treatments were hard....but it could've been so much worse.  I know He will be with me during this final surgery so I will be praying that I look like my after picture in the end.  :o)  I told Kevan we shouldn't keep the picture since it is a naked picture and who knows who might end up seeing it if it's laying around the house.  lol!  He was like..."No way...I'm keeping it to compare."  lol!  He wants to see how close the doctor's work looks like the picture in the end.  Funny!  No!  I won't be scanning in and showing you all my projected after picture.  Sorry.  :o)  The doctor also felt my stomach, sides, etc and then patted my stomach a little and said, "we'll take care of that too while we are in there".  Um....excuse me?  Did you just call me fat?  lol!  I guess he did.  He's used to nip and tucking everything...so he wants to rid me of my excess fat.  I'm all for it!  He has to use it for fat grafting so who am I to argue?  ;o)

One downside to the surgery is that he is not in my insurance network so we will have to pay 30% of the bill.  When you are talking about thousands of dollars...30% is a big chunk...especially when my husband is without a job.  :o( Yes, my hubby is job-less as of this Thursday.  Tomorrow is his last day.  I have a little anxiety over it because of the unknown....but I know in my heart that God will provide.  It is a little scary to think he might not get a job right away...but I just need to keep telling myself that God knows what are needs are. 

On another note, Kevan and I were in a church production (drama/play) over the weekend.  We had 3 performances.  We had VERY small parts in it and it was a lot of work having to rehearse, memorize lines, come up with costumes, etc......but we loved every minute of it.  It was a joy to spend so much time with our church family and also to see people respond to the "Night of Reality: Secret Sins" production.  We had many people make life changing decisions after the drama ended.  This was one reason we've been so busy.  I mention it only to say that we began being a part of this only a few weeks out from my last chemo.  I have felt so good that I was able to be a part of this.  Such a blessing!

Love you all....God bless every one of you!

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?" - Matthew 6:25-27 

1 comment:

  1. Always a blessing to read your blog. I know everything is going to work out for both of you. Still praying two about the baby issues for 3 of my favorite couples.. God is Good... Hes got this.

    ReplyDelete