I'm doing great today and have been for several days. It is amazing how well the body bounces back. Tomorrow I will be having my 3rd chemo treatment of taxotere and cytoxan. I am dreading it as usual. Since I've been bald for several weeks I decided to do a top 10 list of the reasons why I like my bald head. This may help some of you that have to lose your hair to like it a little more. I have to say that I haven't really missed my hair. I'm strange though. :o) I think I just know it will grow back and this is just a part of the process. Although, Kevan does miss my hair and I'm sure he cannot wait for it to come back. I am also a little scared of how it might change when it grows back, but I am praying that God blesses me with straight hair since I had wavy/curly hair before and had to straighten it each day.
Kevan wants to shave it, but I don't like the feeling of a razor on my head. I have not lost my arm hair that I can tell, but have lost about 70% of my leg hair...but the remaining 30% is not growing because I haven't needed to shave in weeks...usually I shave every couple days. I've also lost about 80% of my "other" body hair. It would be a great time for me to go to the beach if I was allowed to be in the sun. ;o) I am losing eyebrows and eyelashes VERY slowly. I have most of them still. I am SO thankful for this. This was my biggest worry when I found out I would lose my hair. I am hoping I get through the last 2 treatments with my eyebrows and eye lashes.
- The obvious, you will save money on shampoo, conditioner and other hair products. You will also save money on coloring, highlighting, haircuts, etc.
- You save a lot of time not having to do your hair. It used to take me about 20 minutes to do my hair because I had to blow dry it and then straight iron it. Now, it takes me about 2 minutes to put my wig or head covering on.
- Your bathroom counter is a lot less messy. I don't need a brush, hair dryer or curling iron. So, they've been put away for now.
- You have the opportunity to go to a wig store and try on all different kinds of wigs and hair colors. I learned that red hair with black stripes does not look good on me. But, it was fun to try it on. I can see myself with bangs or without, black hair or blonde hair, short or long, pink or blue.....whatever you desire pretty much. Take pictures so you can remember. I should've taken pictures, but I always feel like the shop owner is too serious. lol!
- You can decorate your head. Just think of the Halloween possibilities! I will definitely be doing this if I don't have hair at Halloween.
- It is the only time you will let someone tape your head. Yes, my husband decided he was tired of looking at the hairs that had not yet fallen out. He calls it my 5 o'clock shadow. He thought tape would work. So, he grabbed the pet hair tape roller and used it on my head.
- When it is raining outside and you're leaving Wal-mart take your wig off so you don't get it wet and shove it in your sack. Then, look back and see the amazement on everyone's face as they see this bald woman running to her car. It is pretty funny. Try it sometime. Also, you make it to the car without wet hair. :o)
- It may be the only time in your life that you can check the hair color of "bald" on a form. I think that is pretty funny too.
- When you are having a hot flash (which you will get from chemo if you haven't reached menopause yet) you can remove your wig or head covering to cool off extra fast. I recommend only doing this at home. ;o) People are just too uncomfortable with a woman's baldness.
- The shock on someone's face when you take off your wig or head covering and reveal your bald head. I think it is hilarious and it never gets old. lol!